Yes, the watermelon is a vegetable, in close relation to the pumpkin, cucumber and squash. It’s actually native to Africa which makes sense as this vegetable craves hot, sunny environments in which to grow.
Watermelon really is the quintessential summer snack. The sweet, slurpy goodness you get from every bite of ripe watermelon is not only delicious, but it’s full of healthy nutrients. It’s almost 100 percent water and it boasts significant levels of vitamins and minerals. Watermelon ontains vitamins A, B6 and C, lycopene, antioxidants, potassium and amino acids. It’s fat-free, has very low sodium and contains only 40 calories per cup.1
- Amino acids — the basic building block for protein.
- Potassium regulates blood pressure and reduces stress and anxiety. 2
- Vitamin A helps fight inflammation. 2
- Vitamin B6 is important for metabolism. 2
- Vitamin C helps boost the immune system.2
- Antioxidants, like lycopene, help prevent free radical damage.3
- Lycopene may have anti-inflammatory properties, too.3
The entire watermelon is edible
You can eat the rind and seeds of a watermelon which are also very nutritious. The white rind of the watermelon contains the amino acid citrulline, which converts into the amino acid arginine.4 These amino acids promote blood flow, leading to cardiovascular health and improved circulation, much like the benefits one gets from PURE’s GPS Circulate product.*
Next time you enjoy a slice of watermelon, save the seeds. Watermelon seeds are low in calories and high in protein, magnesium, vitamin B and healthy fats. Chew them to get the most from their nutrients.
Roasting the seeds is a great way to enjoy them. Place the seeds on a baking sheet and cook at 325◦F. Bake for 15 minutes. Sprinkle them with olive oil and salt, or cinnamon and sugar. If you like them spicy, add lime juice and chili powder.
Love the taste of watermelon?
You’ll love our watermelon-flavored ENERGY drink mix! It’s packed with antioxidants, botanicals and natural sources of caffeine, and is the perfect alternative to sugar-laden, artificially sweetened energy drinks on the market.
ENERGY drink mix:
- contains B-vitamins, such as thiamin, riboflavin, B6 and B12, which are useful for converting food into fuel
- eases fatigue*
- fuels your focus*
ENERGY is made with:
- no artificial coloring or sweeteners
- no preservatives
You can also use ENERGY drink mix to make ice cubes or popsicles. It is available in lemon, island splash, grape and mixed berry flavors, too. Learn more.