You snack on chips at the Mexican restaurant while patiently waiting for your cheese-topped chicken enchiladas to arrive. It’s already the third week in January and your resolution to eat healthier has already gone down the drain. Oh well, you think. January was just practice, I’ll begin my “real” resolution on Valentine’s Day.
Sound familiar? We make thoughtful resolutions only to falter and then try again. It’s an up-and-down struggle, a guilt-ridden ride that doesn’t seem to end. Don’t despair. That one set-back at the restaurant is not going to put you into a downward spiral. So you had a few chips. Enjoy them and move on. Rather than blaming yourself and preparing to starve on day two, think about the basics: nutrition, exercise and sleep. That’s really all there is to it.
The following strategies are very effective in keeping you consistent on your journey to a Whole Health lifestyle.
- Start every morning with a 360 Complete Shake. Proprietary Craving-Control Technology and fat-burning ingredients. Add your own frozen fruit, raw vegetables, Mila, and favorite milk alternative for a fast, filling meal replacement that will keep you going all morning.
- Hydrate throughout the day. Around 70% of the body is comprised of water.1 Drink half your body weight in water ounces to stay lean and healthy. An adequate intake for women is approximately 2.7 liters (91 ounces) of total water — from all beverages and foods — each day, and men an average of approximately 3.7 liters (125 ounces daily) of total water.2 Start with a big glass mid-morning and carry a bottle to sip throughout the day.
- Eat fiber. An adequate intake of fiber helps with bowel movements and offers other health benefits. If you are not consuming the proper amount of fiber, try increasing your daily intake gradually with plenty of water. Genesis PURE Mila has plenty of fiber as well as healthy Omega-3 fatty acids. 360 Complete Shake also contain a good source of fiber with other beneficial nutrients. Other fiber sources include raw nuts, seeds, raspberries, non-starchy veggies, and avocado.
- Move it. Get out of that chair and walk around the building during your lunch break. Go to the gym after work. All you need is a half an hour. Invest in a good workout video you can wake up to every morning. Take the dog for a walk. Try a new exercise class. Just move.
- Get creative. Try a new vegetable or fruit you’ve never had before. Or prepare your favorite’s a different way. There are plenty of uncommon fruits and vegetables. For instance, dandelion greens are edible and delicious. The jicama is a vegetable similar to a potato or water chestnut. Ever tried a kumquat? It is a sweet, citrus fruit whose skin can also be eaten.
- Get proper sleep. Sleep is one of the basic needs of the body, and here at Genesis PURE we believe in giving the body what it needs to thrive. Prepare for sleep an hour before you lay down by turning off electronics, diffusing a calming essential oil, enjoying a cup of tea, or taking a hot bath.
- Clean out your pantry. Throw out anything tempting to eat that is not healthy, or donate it to a soup kitchen. When you’re at the grocery store, pass on the items you know will set you back, or buy healthier alternatives instead. You may need will power, so create a mantra and say it aloud. It could be simply, “I don’t want this in my kitchen.”
- Be happy. Schedule time for you. Go for that massage. Plan a date with a friend to see a movie. Play a board game with your kids. Check out a new book from the library. Paint something. Take a free online course. Write in a journal. Volunteer your time.
Enjoy those chips in moderation but promise me that you’ll do the other eight things in this list. Do them consistently and you’ll discover that they will change the way you eat in the long run.