The year 2016 has flown by and I am ready for the excitement that 2017 will bring! I am carrying forward several accomplishments from the year: I took two great vacations, I made some new life-long friends, and I achieved a cycling personal record.
I usually start writing my resolutions list on January 1. I will likely include things like: Finish that novel; eat more salad; and, lose weight.
Research has shown that 45% of Americans will make a New Year’s resolution; some of the top ones include losing weight, getting organized, saving money, staying fit, learning a new skill, and enjoying life to the fullest.1
People who make resolutions are ten times more likely to retain their goals than people who don’t make resolutions. The end of every year is a great time to assess prior accomplishments, whether personal or professional, and plan for the coming year.
Here are some tips to help you stick with your resolution(s), and succeed, in 2017:
- Break it down: Don’t use the New Year to create a large bucket list of goals to accomplish, either personal or professional. You may have a big goal, but breaking it down into milestones will help keep your spirits up and easily see your own progress. For example, if you set a weight loss goal, exercise more, quit smoking, and manage your stress, chances are you will not meet those expectations set for yourself. Trying to tackle too many goals at once can leave you overwhelmed and eventually abandoning all goals. Instead pick one or two goals to manage at a time.
- Be Specific: Setting specific goals can lead to greater performance. If you want to lose weight, for example, change “I want to lose 20 pounds in 3 weeks,” to “I want to be able to do 100 pushups within 3 months,” or “I want to be able to complete a 5K in my hometown.”
- Find a partner: Share your weight loss goals with a family member and/or friend. Find a buddy with similar goals so you can motivate each other to stay on track. By asking for support, you’re able to strengthen your own resiliency.
- Don’t let the bumps in the road get you off track. Make sure you’re able to attach personal value to your goals and focus on progress each step of the way. Be sure to self-reflect throughout the year, not just on December 31. Ask yourself: Am I on track with my goals? What changes can help me achieve success? Are there other changes in my life I can tackle?
- Find a program that helps you stay on track. Genesis PURE’s new Rally28 weight-management system offers a simple, yet effective way to help you change your body and your life. A winning combination of Genesis PURE’s proprietary Craving-Control Technology and sustainable fat-burning ingredients support weight loss while you develop healthier habits for real, lasting results. Learn more at rally28.com.
Once you’ve accomplished your goals, be sure to check in periodically to ensure you don’t backtrack. I hope these guidelines can be put to good use and help you achieve your goals for 2017.
All of us at Genesis PURE wish you a New Year of Whole Health!